Religious life seems to be filled with clichés that are almost true.
Here are a few with my short takes on them.
- Everything Happens for a Reason:
Some things do happen for a reason.
- When God closes a door, God opens a window.
Hopefully the window is on the first floor.
- God Helps Those Who Help Themselves:
God helps those who cannot help themselves.
- Let go and let God.
God usually does not do things he wants us to do.
- What Would Jesus Do?
Not the same as what does Jesus want me to do.
- You can’t outgive God!
But you can outgive things given to religious groups.
- Do not forsake the assembling of yourselves together.
Coffee shops are great places to assemble for fellowship.
- God Won't Give You More Than You Can Handle:
Sometimes we need others to help us handle life.
- God Said It, I Believe It, That Settles It:
Simplistic readings of the scriptures are not helpful.
- If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.
What if God did not bring you to it?
- Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin:
Love your neighbor. Hate your own sin.
- You're never more safe than when you're in God's will.
Sometimes being in God's will involves torture and persecution.