I have been around for a few of these things. Here are my brief recollections of them:
- 1956 :: A car with a bullhorn driving by my house on Staten Island shouting "Vote for Ike!".
- 1960 :: I watched the first televised debate. Morning after the election one of the
guys at junior high was carrying a newspaper with the results.
- 1964 :: In high school. A sad year for those of us who admired President Kennedy.
- 1968 :: Drafted that year. Spent election day in basic training at Fort Jackson, SC.
- 1972 :: My first year working for Ma Bell. Do not remember voting.
- 1976 :: I became a Christian in April of that year and became aware of a candidate
that prayed publicly. First candidate to really inspire me.
- 1980 :: With most of America, I joined the Reagan revolution and the pro-life voting bloc.
- 1984 :: Still loved Ronald Reagan and voted for him.
- 1988 :: Pat Robertson won the Iowa Caucus that year. I was glad to see us elect Bush and Quayle.
- 1992 :: Ross Perot showed up and sadly upset a Bush reelection. Great SNL debate skits though.
- 1996 :: I supported the other Bob from Kansas even though he did not have much of a chance.
- 2000 :: I loved the compassionate conservatism message and voted for W.
- 2004 :: Growing weary of a president that did not hold press conferences and embraced the
war president moniker. Fortunately for Republicans, Kerry was even worse than W.
- 2008 :: Conservatives splintered and the GOP got McCain and Palin. So disappointed.
- 2012 :: I liked Romney at the beginning. Over time it became obvious that he was running a bad campaign.
- 2016 :: I like the temperament and message of John Kasich. I'm such a sucker for underdogs.