Thought I would repost this as I have been in a wheelchair since I fell and fractured my pelvis a week ago.
From Tiffany Carlson at the Mobility Resource ...
Spend a week or a decade in a wheelchair, chances are you’ll be asked some pretty crazy things. And I get why –people are uncomfortable around things that are different, especially wheelchairs. ... If you don’t want to make a fool of yourself the next time you’re around a wheelchair-user, read on for the top ten things to never dare say or ask to a wheelchair-user.Read the rationale behind Tiffany's list here.
If only more people remembered we are still human with normal functioning brains (I know, hard to believe), then a list like this wouldn’t be so necessary.
- Slow down there. You might get a speeding ticket.
- What happened to you?
- How fast does that thing go?
- Do you know so and so in a wheelchair too?
- Is your significant other also in a wheelchair?
- I’d rather die than be disabled.
- You’re good looking for being in a wheelchair.
- Good for you.
- Can I ask you a personal question?
- Hey speed racer. Can you pop a wheelie?
-originally post September 30, 2013