Studies on humor and laughter from Duke University, Loma Linda University, UCLA and others have shown:
- Laughing helps relax tense muscles.
- It helps lower high blood pressure.
- It reduces the production of stress hormones.
- There are no known negative side effects to laughter.
- Laughter and a positive attitude strengthen the immune system.
- It allows a person to 'forget' about aches and pains and perceive pain as less intense.
- A good laugh is like an aerobic workout for the heart and lungs--increasing the body's ability to use oxygen.