Just a brief afternoon note (for no good reason) about taxes on gasoline. For years I have been crossing the state line from Kansas to Missouri to buy gas because of the difference in the tax on a gallon of petrol. A few observations from the map:
- Alaska: 26.4¢/g - the lowest tax.. no other state is close
- California: 67.0¢/g - the highest tax
- Hawaii: 63.5¢/g - second highest tax
- Kansas: 43.4¢/g - haven't bought much gas there lately
- Missouri: 35.7¢/g - why I rarely buy gas in Kansas
- New York: 63.3¢/g - overtaxed state of my birth
I feel pretty fortunate to buy gas cheaper because Missouri doesn't overtax us at the pump. Where does your state fit? Above or below average tax rates?